Thursday, May 5, 2011

On not giving up... and other stuff. (SNS)

Hello friends!

Wow, this week has actually gone by rather quickly! It's been filled with highs and lows and lots of in betweens. Some of the things I talk about will make more sense if I give you a little information about me. Well, mostly just that I live with my parents, despite the fact that I'm 23. After a (ahem) hellish senior year in college, I felt a great desire to go home. Despite the fact the I went to my hometown's college. But I didn't live with my parents. So, one year later, here I am!

Anyway, this week started out with a small-scale Sunday adventure with my sister. There was a carnival happening about a block from our house and I knew I HAD to get some pictures. We braved the creepy ride operators and managed to get a few photos. Here are my two favorites:



When we got home, I took this picture:



Of course, this week's big event happened on Monday. I would like to tell you that my booth for the Hope for the Change fundraiser was a smashing success and great amounts of fun, but I just despise lying.

First of all, I had ordered photo mats for my photo prints to make them better to display and easier to sell. However, they didn't show up. Bleh. So I went to JoAnn to see what I could find. Lo and behold, mats were on sale! I could get the display stands I needed plus 4 mats with my $25 cash. So I bounced on up to the cash register. The total came to $35. The following exchange with the cashier went something like this:

"Um, I guess I can't get those mats. I misread the sale tags."

"How much were they?"

"Well, I thought these three were 97 cents."

"Well, let me see what I can do." (She pushed a few buttons on the register. New total- Three more dollars than I actually had.)

"Oh, well, I still can't get them all. Thank you, but I'll just have to take a couple off."

"Well, I can try one more thing." (More button pushing. Total was just a few cents more than I had. I counted my change. She pushed another button. Then she took all my money and gave me a few coins in return.)

"Oh, thank you!" I said as enthusiastically as I possibly could in my slightly embarassed and highly sleep-deprived state. No response. I walked away awkwardly.

So, I went home with some photo mats I practically stole, and confirmation that I could pick some tables up from my friend JJ. So I did that, and he volunteered to help with the rest of my day. I accepted.

We went to my house and proceeded to put photos into plastic sleeves and tape price tags to them. Then we loaded up two cars with product and display things and went on over to the high school.

Once there, we tried to figure out where to put our stuff. After a few questions asked, I was ushered to my spot. I didn't think much of it right at first, but I came to realize it was really a pretty crappy spot to be trying to sell jewelry and (especially) photo prints. Not to mention the fact that a lady by me was setting up this cage and loading it with adorable merchandise.


A lady across from me was putting out her handmade jewelry (using lots of swarovski it turns out, something I haven't really used) on these beautiful displays:


But in the end, I think mine looked pretty good, especially considering it was my first time ever doing a booth of any sort.



Lots and lots of people walked by. A majority of them looked at my items. Several of them stopped and looked closely at them. A few touched them. A couple people took my business cards. But only one lady bought anything. She was really really excited about the violin charm necklace she bought and I appreciated her purchase very much. However, just for that one day (not including the cost of product or display items), I lost about $85. Could be worse, I know, but it still wasn't exactly a good feeling.

After dinner and some reflection, I started feeling more and more put out. But the funny thing about me is that the more I get down about something, the more determined I am to try it again and absolutely rock it. Is this always healthy? No, but it has proved useful a time or two. (I have squatty potties in mind as I type this, ha ha.)

Well, Tuesday is my day to go out to a small(er) town 50 miles north of home and teach some violin students. 2 of them called and cancelled, but I decided to make the drive anyway so I would only lose $30 plus gas instead of $60 plus gas. It was a pretty day and my students were great as always, and when I got home I took this picture:

It's probably my favorite of the week, but I have a weakness for purple :)


Wednesday came. Both my students cancelled. $25 lost. I didn't get ready at all and moped around the house. Ok, I actually did take the opportunity to take some jewelry photos


and teach another friend how to do Etsy a little bit. Here you can find RT Vance Photography's Etsy shop in its beginning stages.

And now it's Thursday and I am typing this blog because I go out of town tomorrow. So far it's been quite a good day! I went for a walk in this sunshine in the late morning, caught all made up and dressed up, and taught 4 great violin lessons. Now onto a much more difficult task:

Sleep.

Have a fabulous Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Heather! I'm sorry things didn't go the way you had hoped with your booth... but just look at it as a learning experience! I admire you even having a booth, I'm still waaayyy to chicken to try it. Now that you know what to expect, I'm sure the next time will be much more fun and successful! I think for your first time your display looked really good!
    I love your photos... especially the ferris wheel! The colors are amazing!
    Hope you had a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete